With over $250,000 in AmeriCorps grant funding that was awarded to the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe Emergency Management Department for the 2018 fiscal year, Tribal Citizens ages 18-24 can now get to work on meaningful projects across the country. This award has established the first ever Tribal AmeriCorps disaster services program on the Eastern half of the United States.
Young adults that join the program will receive an amazing experience, training and support that will last a lifetime. AmeriCorps NCCC Tribal Disaster Services members strengthen communities and develop leadership skills through direct, team-based service. Teams of young adults, age 18-24, travel across the country to complete projects that meet crucial community needs and also support disaster preparedness and response.
Type of Service – Conduct hands-on service projects with a team
- Age – 18 – 24
- Eligibility – No prior experience necessary
- Duration – 10 Months (Starting October, 2018)
- Location – Mashpee Wampanoag Tribal Lands in addition to travel and service to various locations
- Living Allowance Provided
- Travel to FEMA deployments
- Free trainings; ie; Wlidlife, Basic survival skills, Firefighting, Life skills and more
- Education Award of $5,920.00
Additional benefits include: childcare, health care, housing and transportation.
- Full time service hours up to 1,700 hours
Visit the AmeriCorps website https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps for updated information.
If you are interested or may know of Tribal youth that may have an interest in joining, please contact the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe Emergency Management Department: EM Director – Nelson.Andrewsjr@mwtribe-nsn.gov (508) 477-5800 Ext-15 or; EP Specialist – Allyssa.Hathaway@mwtribe-nsn.gov (508)477-5800 Ext-13