It all starts with language
The Mashpee Wampanoag Tribal Language Department was established in cooperation with the Wôpanâak Language Reclamation Project (WLRP) by Council Ordinance 2009-ORD-005 on June 10, 2009 to recognize the role of language as “central to the protection of the customs, culture, and spiritual well-being of the people,” and to acknowledge the “critical state of the newly reclaimed Wampanoag language, and the need to secure its survival for the benefit of future generations.” The Tribal Council reaffirmed its commitment to language revitalization in resolution 2011-RES-025 to recognize the inherent “birth right of each Wampanoag child adult to speak his or her language given by Creator”, and the decades of work by WLRP to return language home to Wampanoag families.
Language in the News
Services Provided by WLRP/MWT Language Department
- Year round family and elders language classes, and community curriculum development.
- For a list of current community classes visit www.wlrp.org/class-schedules-locations.html
- Daily language class for students at Mashpee High School for World Language credit (pilot program).
- Weekly language enrichment blocks at the Coombs and Quashnet Schools.
- Full-time Wôpanâak Language Nest (Mukayuhsak Weekuw: The Children's House) for preschool and kindergarten students (180 days annually, 8:30am - 3:30pm), while preparing to expand to a Language Immersion School.
- Translation and language services for Mashpee Wampanoag Tribal departments on request.
- Summer language and culture based programming for tribal youth ages 3-12.
- Year round language apprentice immersion and grammar training, including annual language exams (oral and written).
- Language teacher certification exams (written and practice teaching) are administered every three years for community instructors.
- MWT employee language classes on request
- More than 1,000 Wampanoag Nation community members served (75% are Mashpee Wampanoag Tribal Citizens)
- 450+ hours of community language and cultural instructional delivered annually