The Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe Emergency Management Department received the FY18 2018 AmeriCorps Tribe award for over $250K. This award is to establish the first ever Tribal AmeriCorps disaster services program on the eastern half of the US.
AmeriCorps NCCC Tribal Disaster Services members strengthen communities and develop leadership skills through direct, team-based service. Teams of young adults, age 18-24, travel across the country to complete projects that meet crucial community needs and also support disaster preparedness and response.
- Type of Service – Conduct hands-on service projects with a team
- Age – 18 – 24
- Eligibility – No prior experience necessary
- Duration – 10 Months (Starting October, 2018)
- Location – Mashpee Wampanoag Tribal Lands in addition to travel and service to various locations
- Living Allowance Provided
- Travel to FEMA deployments
- Free trainings; ie; Wlidlife, Basic survival skills, Firefighting, Life skills and more
- Education Award of $5,920.00
Additional benefits include: child care, health care, housing, transportation.
Full time service hours up to 1,700 hours
Visit the AmeriCorps website https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps for updated information.
If you are interested or may know of Tribal youth that may have an interest in joining, please contact the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe Emergency Management Department: