Indian Housing and Sanitation Program (IHS)
Our Mission is to provide quality housing on ancestral lands, a place appointed to us by our creator, and to encourage self-determination and economic independence class all tribal members.
Any misstatements or omissions in this application may result in disqualification of housing assistance. Further, if assistance is provided, you may be required to repay all program monies expended on your behalf if such misrepresentations are discovered at a later date. All questions must be answered
483 Great Neck Road South
Mashpee, MA, 02649
Indian housing and sanitation program Assistance Guidelines
1. Applicants must be a member of the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe or a member of another Federally Recognized Tribe residing in the service area of the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe, which includes the following five (5) Massachusetts counties: Barnstable, Bristol, Plymouth, Norfolk, and Suffolk.
2. The Applicant must show proof of ownership for the subject property, or show that the tenants meet income and eligibility requirements of HUD and the Mashpee Wampanoag Housing Department.
3. All household members must provide a social security card and Tribal ID (if applicable).
4. The subject property must have a clear title, i.e. no liens or encumbrances.
5. The Applicant must be current with the mortgage, homeowners insurance, and property taxes.
6. An Indian Health Services application in addition to the standard Housing Department application must be completed.
7. Engineering for the septic design will be procured and contracted by the Housing Department.
8. The Housing Department will solicit all bids and make the final recommendation for the contractor to the funder (Indian Health Services) for final approval. A firm-fixed contract is awarded to the responsive and responsible bidder whose bid is the lowest in price (conforming to all the material terms and conditions for the invitation to bid). Preference is given in the award of contracts to the qualified Indian organizations and Indian-owned economic enterprises. A bid which is not more than 10% higher than the lowest bid is given preference.
9. Once approved by IHS, a contract will be signed by the homeowner, the Director or Assistant Director of the Housing Department and the contractor.
10. The contractor will be paid in full once approvals of final inspections have been signed off by all appropriate authorities.
Please note: All documentation must be received within 30 days of the original intake; otherwise the application will be deemed incomplete and will be procedurally denied. If for any reason the applicant is denied financial assistance, the applicant may appeal the Department’s decision to the Board of Commissioners within ten (10) days from the date of denial.